Board of Trustees January Meeting RecapJanuary 17, 2023
Nashville, TN — The TMA Board of Trustees conducted its first quarterly meeting on Jan. 7. The following is a summary of discussions and actions taken. The next meeting of the full board is slated for April 14 prior to the 2023 TMA Annual Meeting and House of Delegates.
- The approval of an operating budget for 2023
- Modifications to the 2023 legislative agenda
- Final approval of the 2023-26 strategic plan priorities
- Current market feedback on the state’s recently invoked abortion “trigger” law
Additionally, the Board took the following actions:
- Approval of preliminary appointments to TMA committees beginning in April. Identified a need for more representation on the TMA PAC committee.
- Continuation of its investigations into current market activities to help address gun safety. Presentations by the National Rifle Association and Everytown USA. The Board discussed utilizing the TMA Public Health Committee to create resources for medical practices to use with patients to promote proper gun storage, safety and responsible gun ownership.
- Discussed a desire for more local engagement with the more than 2,000 TMA resident members. Considerations included more standardized training classes and resources to help resident members better prepare to transition to active full time practice and find practice positions to remain in the state.
- Approved TMA’s legislative priorities for the 2023 Tennessee General Assembly. Topping the list of priorities are modification of the state’s abortion “trigger” law, resulting legislation from the Senate’s Scope of Practice summer study, relief from some health insurance prior authorization requirements, and a new safe harbor law to protect physicians who receive professional assistance for work burnout and wellbeing.
- Prioritization of activities to commence in 2023 for the Board’s strategic plan. Strategic areas include:
- Enhancement of TMA advocacy programs
- Physician wellness
- Organizational fiscal fitness
- Growing Tennessee’s physician workforce
- Improvement of internal systems to better prioritize resources
- Approved questions for a brief membership survey as part of the 2023 TMA leadership elections taking place online beginning Feb. 1.
- Selected the Embassy Suites and Conference Center in Murfreesboro for the 2024 TMA Annual Meeting.